Saturday 9 June 2012

Who asked you?

I suppose every mom has gone through this one time or another. Meeting some I-barely-know-you person who deems it their birthright to comment on how thin/fat/short/dark/lagging behind your kid is. Often in comparison to their own little darling. And this person is usually another mom. I've rarely come across a dad who says anything like this, either to me or to another dad.
So, the other day, I'd just about reached the end of my rope when a playground mom commented on how thin my daughter is. This after following her around for no reason for some 15 minutes and setting the stage with some observations that she seems to have a temper, she is so talkative, etc etc. I personally believe its not necessary to be nice in situations like this. So when the "small and thin" topic began; I looked this woman in the eye and said,"yes, she's a small, skinny kid and is likely to remain a skinny kid; because, as you can see her mother is petite. Now my brother was one, and so was my sister-in-law. My brother grew up to become a strapping Merchant Marine who pulled 14 hr shifts in the freezing North Atlantic and in the equatorial heat. My SIL is slim and smart and a university topper. And yours truly, at five foot plus nothing, has climbed the Grand Canyon and Havasu Canyon with a 27-pound backpack, Mt. Healy in Alaska and hiked in the hottest place on Earth, Death Valley. And 2 eminent pediatricians have told me there's no reason to worry about my child; who is a normal, happy and active youngster, and SPECIFICALLY TO IGNORE SUCH COMMENTS FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU." Not the response the lady expected, I'm sure. She muttered something about "concern" and changed the subject. Concern my a**. At least credit our intelligence in being able to distinguish between someone who voices genuine concern and someone taking cheap pot-shots at a hardworking mom. A child's parents are the first line of concern...so before passing comments or judgments; give them the benefit of doubt that they are doing everything for their child. Don't you?

4 comments:

  1. I know!!! I totally know!!! I have lived all my life with people calling me thin, skinny, unhealthy and what not...usually by "well-rounded" people. And if someone makes such comments about my daughter I might actually give a nice well-deserved tight slap on their cheeks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Meghana....
    Only thing we should be concerned about kids is their activity level....They should be active...happy
    Weight should not be a concern at all...

    Manali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one Meg! I wish I was there, I'd round up the reply with a shove to her, just for pissing my friend off! I have no idea WHY people in India love to compare! Each kid is an individual, leave them alone and just let them be! For Heaven's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go...yes it works Megs...keep the good work going on...if one circle is complete hope the aunty-type moms shut their pie-hole!

    ReplyDelete

I'd luv to hear what you have to say!